Overview of Alerting Capabilities
For additional information on Maintaining your Alerts:
- The system can automatically generate Alerts based on your options set in the Alert Subscription Editor.
- You can also change Alerting options for a specific alert, see Changing delivery options for a single Alert
- To see details on adding elements individually, click Setting up Your Alert Subscriptions
- Alerts for Dimensioned elements has a few more options; see examples here
1. Administrators can set up System Alerts that apply to a broad set of metrics
This is done by creating Alert Rule Profiles and assigning then to a specific Metric, a group of Metrics or all Metrics. To trigger the Alert, Alert Rule Profiles typically make use of one or both of the following settings on a specific Metric Editor:
- Stoplight settings
- Best / Worse ever values
- Standard deviation criteria that have been set for a specific metric to trigger the alert.
See this article for details - Creating System Alert Profiles
1.1. Example of Stoplight Profiles (Stoplight View)
Stoplight criteria is based on Fixed Values
1.2. Example of Unusual Value (Statistical View)
Any value outside of 2.0 Standard Deviations is considered 'Unusual'
1.3. Example of a System Alert for a Metric (viewed in an Alert Digest)
2. A Metric Alert can be used to send out an associated Report
When a metric triggers an alert, you might prefer to receive a related report instead of the Metric. For instance, if the Daily Sales metric falls below some threshold, you might prefer to receive a detailed report on sales activity, rather than simply receiving the Daily Sales metric itself. In fact, you can connect a single report to any number of metrics. When you subscribe to an Alert on this Report, you will actually see Alerts for the associated Metrics displayed.
Example above show two Metrics associated to one Report
See this article for details - How to Connect a Report to an Alert
2.1. Example of a System Alert for a Report (viewed in an Alert Digest)
- Note that the Alert was generated for the Daily COGS metric that is associated with this report
- Clicking on the Chart images will link you to the Report, not the Metric
3. Or you may create your own Custom Alerts (Metric example)
Click Create a new alert to invoke the User-Defined Alerting Wizard - details here
3.1. Example of the types of custom alerts available
4. Create your own Custom Alerts (Report example)
- You can add a custom alert to a metric already associated with this report (if any)
- Or add alert rules from different metric
4.1. Add New invokes the Alert Creation Wizard for Reports
Just follow the steps in the Wizard to select either Metric Insights reports or reports from External Plug-ins